Note! Picture-in-Picture mode is currently available in these devices running running Android 8.0:
- Xperia X Performance
- Xperia X
- Xperia X Compact
- Xperia XZ
- Xperia XZs
- Xperia XA1
- Xperia XA1 Plus
- Xperia XA1 Ultra
- Xperia XA2
In order to launch Picture-in-Picture mode, there are different methods for different applications.
Launching the Picture-in-Picture mode
- Chrome: Start a video in full screen mode, then tap the Home button.
- YouTube: Subscribe to YouTube Premium, YouTube’s ad-free service. Start a video, then tap the Home button. Note! YouTube Premium is not available in every country.
- VLC Media Player: Start a video, then tap the menu (three horizontal dots) > Pop-Up player. Note! Make sure your VLC application has the latest update.
- Google Maps: Plan a route and start a navigation. Then tap the Home button.
Using the Picture-in-Picture mode
- Tap the picture-in-picture window to display the playback control icons Play, Fast Forward, and Rewind, and a Centre button that maximizes the app. To hide the playback controls, tap the window.
- The picture-in-picture window is moveable. Touch and hold it, and then drag to move it to any part of your phone or tablet’s screen, and lift your finger to release it. If you let go somewhere in the middle, the window snaps to the closest valid location.
- To close the picture-in-picture window, touch and hold it, and then drag it to the bottom of the screen.
Disabling Picture-in-Picture mode for specific apps
To disable Picture-in-Picture mode
- In Settings, tap Apps & Notifications > Advanced.
- Tap Special Access, then find and tap Picture-in-Picture.
- In the list of applications, tap the application that you want to disable Picture-in-Picture for.
- To disable Picture-in-Picture, tap the slider beside Allow picture-in-picture.