With Xperia Link™ you can get your Xperia tablet or Sony VAIO® computer to connect to the Internet by using the tethering function and mobile data capacity of your Xperia phone. This means that your Xperia tablet or Sony VAIO® computer can connect to the Internet even when a Wi-Fi® connection is unavailable.
From your tablet or computer, you can remotely turn on and off the tethering function of your phone. If you use Android™ version 4.0 or later, you can also reply to text messages that you received on your phone directly from your tablet. Xperia Link is not supported on Android version 8.0 or higher.
- The Xperia Link app must be installed and set up on your phone, tablet or Sony VAIO® computer before use.
- Bluetooth® must always be on during use.
- Your phone and data plan must support the use of tethering.
- You may incur additional charges for tethering depending on your data plan.
- Your phone must have a camera with auto focus to set up Xperia Link™ (unless you pair it with the Xperia Tablet Z).
- Xperia devices that run on Android™ version 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or 7.x. From March 2019 Xperia Link is no longer available on Google Play™.
- All tablets manufactured by Sony.
- For Xperia Tablet S, Xperia Link is pre-installed (and the device only supports tethering with Xperia Link).
- For all other Sony Tablets, excluding tablets exclusively sold by operators, Xperia Link gets installed automatically when you run a system update (and only tethering with Xperia Link is supported on such devices). The availability of system updates depends on your country and region.
- Sony VAIO® computers that run on Windows® version 8 or later. Note that the pre-installed version of Xperia Link only supports tethering with Xperia Link.
- Xperia Link only supports VAIO® computers made by Sony. VAIO® computers made by the VAIO Corporation are not supported.
Connecting the devices
To connect your phone with a tablet or computer using Xperia Link
- Phone: Start the Xperia Link app.
- Make sure you have a working mobile data connection on your Xperia phone.
- Tablet/computer: Start the Xperia Link app, and then tap Setup.
- Phone: Tap Scan.
- Scan the QR Code™ that appears on the tablet/computer by pointing your phone at it. The devices now connect.
- Confirm the setup by tapping OK on both devices.
- Phone: An icon indicating the connection appears in the status bar, and the the name of the connected tablet/computer appears in the Xperia Link app. You can now connect to the Internet from the tablet or computer and use other applications that require a data connection.