Full Specifications and Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 57.9 mm × 122.6 mm × 14.8 mm (2.28 in × 4.83 in × 0.58 in)
- Approx. 164 g (5.78 oz)
- Frequency Band
- 2.4/5 GHz
- BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC (W.MUSIC APP)
- MP3 (128 kbps)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 20 hours, MP3 (128 kbps)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 19 hours, AAC (256 kbps)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 20 hours, AAC (256 kbps)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 19 hours, WAV (44.1 kHz/16 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 20 hours, WAV (44.1 kHz/16 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 19 hours, FLAC (44.1 kHz/16 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 20 hours, FLAC (44.1 kHz/16 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hours, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hours, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 17 hours, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 16 hours, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hours, DSD (2.8224 Mhz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 10 hours, DSD (2.8224 Mhz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hours, DSD (5.6448 Mhz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 8 hours, DSD (5.6448 Mhz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 7.5 hours, DSD (11.2896 Mhz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 6.5 hours, DSD (11.2896 Mhz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 4 hours,
- Charging Time (full charge)
- Approx. 6.5 hrs
- Built-in battery
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Charging and Power supply
- USB power (from a computer via a USB)
- Memory Size
- 64 GB *Actual available memory 48.64 GB
Playback & display
- Music Searching Methods
- All Songs, Artist, Release Year, Playlists, Album, Genre, Composer, Hi-Res, Recent Transfers, Folder, Cue sheet
- Music Play Mode
- Shuffle Playback, Repeat Off, Repeat 1 Song, Repeat All, All Range, Selected Range
- Drag and Drop
- Display Resolution
- 3.6-inch (9.1 cm), HD (1,280 × 720 Pixels)
- Display Type
- TFT color display with white LED backlight
- Sound Effects
- Direct Source (Direct), 10-Band equalizer, DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, Dynamic Normalizer, Vinyl Processor
- Audio Playback
- MP3 (.mp3): 32–320 kbps (supports VBR)/32, 44.1, 48 kHz, WMA (.wma): 32–192 kbps (supports VBR)/44.1 kHz, FLAC (.flac): 16, 24 bit/8–384 kHz, WAV (.wav): 16, 24, 32 bit (Float/Integer)/8–384 kHz, AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 16–320 kbps/8–8 kHz, HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32–144 kbps/8–48 kHz, Apple Lossless (.mp4, .m4a): 16, 24 bit/8–384 kHz, AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc): 16, 24, 32 bit/8–384 kHz, DSD (.dsf, .dff): 1 bit/2.8224, 5.6448, 11.2896 Mhz, APE (.ape): 8, 16, 24 bit/8–192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High), MQA (.mqa.flac): Supported
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
- 20–40,000 Hz
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
- 50 mW+50 mW (High Gain)
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
- 20–40,000 Hz
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
- 200 mW+200 mW (High Gain)
- Operating System
- Android 9.0
- Digital Noise Cancellation
- USB DAC Mode
- Headphones: Stereo mini jack, Balanced standard jack, External memory: Micro SD Micro SDHC Micro SDXC, USB: Type-C (USB 2.0 compliant)
- Wireless Capabilities
- Communication system: Bluetooth® Specification Version 5.0, NFC: Yes, Supported Bluetooth® profiles: Yes, Supported Codecs (Transmission): Yes, Supported Codecs (Reception): No
Every note as the artist intended
Take your digital music collection to another level with High-Resolution Audio. By capturing and reproducing digital audio at a higher rate than CD (24-bit/96 kHz and beyond), High-Resolution Audio allows you to get closer to the original studio recording.
11.2 MHz DSD Native/PCM 384 kHz
Supreme quality with 11.2 MHz DSD native using balanced headphones and PCM 384 KHz/32-bit support.
The S-Master HX™ digital amp reduces distortion and noise across a wide range of frequencies for rich, full-bodied sound.
Audio upscaling is improved even further by our DSEE Ultimate™ processor, which intelligently recognizes instruments, voices and musical genres. By identifying these, and the relative energy of the audio, it can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression, for a full-fidelity experience, even with compressed formats. The DSEE Ultimate™ reproduces the frequency responses and the dynamic range of the original sound source accurately using AI technology.
High-Resolution Audio wireless
Enjoy High-Resolution Audio quality music streaming thanks to LDAC, our premium wireless codec. With 3× the bitrate of standard BLUETOOTH® technology, you can enjoy a superior listening experience for all your music.
A Ø4.4 mm balanced connector supplies compatible headphones with fully discrete left and right channels for less noise and clearer sound.
Aluminum milled frame
A rigid aluminum milled frame provides strong resistance to electrical noise, helping the NW-ZX500 to deliver clear, powerful bass notes.
Copper Milled Block
Inside the Walkman’s compact body, components are mounted on a milled block crafted from copper. Thanks to its larger dimensions, compared to previous models, the block results in reduced resistance and improves electrical grounding for the digital section, enabling the NW-ZX500 to realize even clearer sound.
Newly developed FT CAP
Custom-made for Sony and tuned by Sony engineers, the newly developed FT CAP (high polymer capacitor) strengthens the power supply to the amp block for a balanced output. This helps the NW-ZX500 deliver expansive vocals and instrumentation, plus powerful bass notes.
Advanced solder containing gold
The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the NW-ZX500 to the battery.
Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. With the dual crystal oscillators, the NW-ZX500 is able to achieve audio quality with a good signal-noise ratio and faithful digital reproduction.
POSCAP for enhanced low-range performance
The POSCAP within the NW-ZX500 are used to strengthen the power supply of the amp block for unbalanced output, enhancing low-range reproduction performance for a more expansive listening experience.
Electric double-layer capacitor
An electric double-layer capacitor has been used as the main power source for delivering power from the battery. Able to instantaneously supply large volumes of power, it can accurately output signals by preventing sudden falls in voltage. The result is clear, powerful bass.
Optimized circuit board layout
By dividing the Audio block (highlighted in red) and the Power/Digital block (in blue), the circuit board layout has been optimized to ensure sound quality is unaffected by digital noise.
High-quality film capacitors deliver voltage with a linear response across frequencies, resulting in reduced distortion and noise.
NFC™ One-touch and Bluetooth® for instant connectivity
Near Field Communication (NFC) and Bluetooth® technology make connecting to your music fast and easy. Just touch your NFC-enabled device to your NW-ZX500 Series for a quick, seamless connection, then start streaming. No NFC? No problem. Connect via Bluetooth and you're ready to go. LDAC and aptX™ HD audio compatibility is available.
Give the warmth and character of vinyl back to your digital tracks and get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favorite albums. Enjoy subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resistance and surface noise to deliver an authentic listening experience.
Wi-Fi compatible for direct download and streaming
Supported by Android™ and compatible with Wi-Fi, the NW-ZX500 offers you even more ways to listen to your music. Enjoy your favorite streaming and music apps right on your Walkman or connect to a PC to access your music collection.
Supported by Android™
The NW-ZX500 is supported by Android™, giving you easy access to a huge range of media apps and music services.
USB Type-C™ port
The NW-ZX500 features a USB Type-C™ port for easy connectivity with a range of devices.
Compact, handy size
The NW-ZX500 Walkman offers high-quality sound in a compact device — so you can take your favorite music with you anywhere.
Cassette Tape UI
The NW-ZX500 features a special Cassette Tape user interface and screensaver. The cassette tape visual that appears on your Walkman® display varies depending on the codec of the music you’re listening to.
20 hr battery life
Enjoy up to 20 hours of 128kbps MP3 playback, or up to 18 hours of 96 KHz FLAC High-Resolution Audio playback.
Larger touch panel for easy operation
The 3.6-inch (9.1 cm) touch panel on the NW-ZX500 is 16 percent larger than the touch panel on its predecessor, the NW-ZX300. Managing and enjoying your music has never been easier.
Expandable storage for endless playlists
In addition to the 64 GB integrated memory, there’s also an SD card slot, enabling you to take even the biggest music collections on the go.
Finished in high-quality aluminum, the curved body of the NW-ZX500 is designed to sit comfortably in your palm and slide easily into your pocket.
Intuitive side key controls
Easily access play/pause, change music selection and adjust volume using conveniently positioned side panel controls.
MQA™ files played and decoded
Master Quality Authenticated is an audio format that compresses large studio quality files without audible loss so you can easily enjoy High-Resolution Audio music on your Walkman®.