Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the message FORMAT ERROR or NO DATA flashes in the display of the Walkman player when trying to play a song.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the device status after completing each step.
- The NO DATA or FORMAT ERROR message may occur if the portable player has been formatted using the format utility in Windows Explorer. To correct this issue, initialize (format) the portable player using the Initialize or Format utility built into your Walkman® player.
- Reset the unit by pressing the RESET button with a small object such as a paper clip.
- Disconnect the power source (if applicable) for 30 seconds.
- If using AC power, verify that the adapter is securely connected and plugged into a working outlet.
- If the unit does not work after the 30 seconds, remove the power source (if applicable) for 30 minutes or turn off the player for 30 minutes.
For Walkman players without a display check the link below (NW-Series Walkman):
Cannot play songs on Walkman player. Error: NO DATA or DATA ERROR audio message is played
NOTE: If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service will be required.