About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware update for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera SLT-A57.
Improvements after firmware upgrade
Expanded the number of automatic compensation compliant lenses.
SAL100M28, SAL50M28, SAL85F28, SAL18200, SAL20F28, SAL28F28
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver1.03)
- Expanded the number of automatic compensation compliant lenses.
SAL30M28, SAL50F14, SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL70400G, SAL70200G, SAL35F14G, SAL1635Z.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver1.02)
- Improved performance of AF in Continuous Advance Priority AE Mode (both Tele-zoom 12fps and 10fps) under some specific conditions.
Applicable firmware version
- Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera SLT-A57 with firmware Ver.1.03 or earlier.
How to check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. If your firmware version is Ver.1.04 or later, the upgrade is not required.
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Vista* SP2
- Windows XP** SP3
* Starter edition is not supported.
** 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
Other system requirements
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
* Please close all other application software before upgrading the firmware.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H or AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately)
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is (three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately).
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- When performing the firmware update, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H or the AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately).
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the update; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
- Do not cover Eyepiece sensors during the update; otherwise, the LCD monitor may switch to the Viewfinder. If you can not see anything on the LCD monitor, please press FINDER/LCD button.
Updating the Firmware
- Download the upgrade file.
Click on Update_SLTA57V104.exe to begin download. Please save the downloaded file onto the Desktop of your computer (recommended).
For Windows 8 users:
Under the initial settings of Internet Explorer, the update file will be saved in the Downloads folder. Click the Desktop tile from the Start screen and find the downloaded file in the Downloads folder by using Explorer.
- Start up Firmware Updater.
- Close all currently running programs on your computer.
- Double-click the downloaded file Update_SLTA57V104.exe to start up Firmware Updater.
- Firmware Updater starts up.
- Check the USB connection mode
According to the instruction on Firmware Updater, select Menu → Setup → USB Connection on the camera, and confirm Mass Storage is selected.
If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
USB Mode appears on the LCD monitor of the camera
If the computer cannot find the camera, the message Could not find the camera for this update. appears on the computer display. Try the following if this happens.
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.
(Your computer may have some USB terminals on the backside.)
Sometimes when the camera is connected to the computer with the USB cable, the message to encourage rebooting the computer may appear on the computer display. In this case, remove the battery pack or AC adaptor from the camera, reboot the computer, and follow the procedures from Start up Firmware Updater.
- Confirm is displayed on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
- After confirming the above, click Next on Firmware Updater.
Figure 4 appears on Firmware Updater and Figure 5 appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Do not cover Eyepiece sensors during the update; otherwise, the LCD monitor may switch to the Viewfinder.
If you can not see anything on the LCD monitor, please press FINDER/LCD button
Figure 4: Firmware Updater
Figure 5: Camera’s LCD screen
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the firmware upgrade is completed.
- After confirming the screens on Figures 4 and 5, click Next. The current version and the version after the upgrade appear on the lower left part of the screen.
Figure 6: Upgrade is required
If the screen on Figure 7 appears, the upgrade is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Figure 7: Upgrade is not required
- Click on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection.
Note: Please keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.
- Press the center of the control wheel to reset the camera.
Figure 9: Camera’s LCD screen
Figure 10: Camera control wheel
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the control wheel is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.
- After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen on Figure 11 appears.
- Click Run to start the upgrade. The progress bar appears while upgrading (approximately 5 minutes).
Note: Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while upgrading.
- When the upgrade is completed, the screen on Figure 12 appears. Click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. The firmware upgrade was completed successfully if Ver.1.04 is displayed.